With all the wireless technology; such as RFID or wireless internet sometimes the need for a strong reliable cable is over looked. When it all comes down to it wireless is still run off of a wire at some point.
The
This brief discussion has only scratched the surface of just two forms of services and applications the Gen Xer will demand. These guests will want to leverage the use of their mobile devices while on site. They will be preparing for their visit via the Web before they arrive, expecting certain amenities to be waiting for them. They will want specific advertising vehicles designed almost exclusively just for them, and will throw out all of the other spam. They will want instantaneous relief for any shortcoming they might experience. They will want to bring their children and have one hotel suite entertain them all. Their travel will be more a mix of leisure and business. They will want to impose their technology into the guestroom.
In the next decade, the ratio of business to leisure traveler will lean more heavily toward leisure. However, unlike in the past, it will be the leisure traveler that will put more burden on hotel technology. This new traveler will spend more on travel, more on lifestyle extras. Globally, it is entertainment that is the 800-pound gorilla when it comes to revenues from this type of spending. Entertainment will continue to be the biggest revenue source in the future. The Gen Xer is going to spend money on content and media somewhere in his travels; the smart hotelier will enable that guest to spend it in their hotel.
I find it interesting that in the next decade it is predicted that the ratio of business to leisure travelers will lean definatley towards the leisure travel. Working in the hotel industry I notice that the occupancy is considerably higher durring the week when business travelers are staying at my hotel. It could be the market of downtown
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Fourth Article
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I fully understand the concepts in this article. I can absolutely beleive that this upcoming generation is spending more money leisure traveling. I know personally I spend a lot of money traveling and I really enjoy nice things when I travel. The baby boomers may be more used to getting the most for their monay and maybe not getting more upper scale things, which may seem superfluous. I think the information in this article is very interesting and I do beleive there is increse in leisure travel coming upon us.
This article hits it right on the mark. We have all seen the new brands such as Aloft, The W, Indigo, etc. which are positioned for Gen Xers. As a Gen Xer I would have to agree that we want our amenities. We are the most highly educated and tech savvy generation yet, but those coming up behind us are even more tech savvy and possibly more educated. This technology trend will continue as each generation becomes comfortable with technology at younger and younger ages. I am not sure that these new generations will be willing to pay per service for amenities or in room entertainment, however I think they will pay a higher ADR if these amenities are included. Hoteliers are going to have to remain conscious of the ever changing demographic of business, leisure, and the up and coming combination business/leisure traveler.
Post a Comment